The Google Pixel is one of the best Android phones you can buy, but it doesn’t come with an unlocked bootloader. In this tutorial, I will show you how to unlock your bootloader on a Pixel phone. Unlocking your bootloader is not difficult and only takes about 10 minutes. When done, you will be able to install custom ROMs onto your device!
Do You know that there are thousands of brand manufacturers in the Smartphone genre, and just approx 120 of them got massive fame? Well, This discrimination is only because of the futuristic privileges offered by the brilliant smartphone manufacturer brands like Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, Realme, Oppo, and Huawei. Nowadays, Google has also appeared inside this Smartphone manufacturing section, with the beast smartphone having unique features.
After supporting Lenovo and Motorolla, Google also has manufactured so many Android smartphones like Google Pixel XL, Google Pixel 2, Google Pixel 4A, and the latest 5G smartphone, Google Pixel 5. There are so many privileges offered by Google smartphones that you can’t enjoy inside any other Android smartphone, like Daydream, Pixel Launcher, and Google Cam.
However, After having so many aggressive smartphone features, Several Google phone users are still wandering to find the process of unlocking their Pixel phone’s Bootloader and rooting it. So If You’re also one of these users and finding a legit process to unlock your device’s Bootloader and enjoy all the afterlife tweaks, You’re at the damn correct place.
Today, We’re here with a complete guide based on the process of unlocking the Bootloader inside Google Pixel Smartphones, including the advantages and disadvantages of Unlocking the Bootloader. So go below, and unlock your Bootloader today –
What is Bootloader in Google Pixel Smartphones?
As per the definition, Bootloader is a bunch of algorithms coded to start all the services inside your Android smartphone. It gets initialized when you start your Android smartphone and permits all the following tasks on your Google Pixel Android smartphone. It doesn’t matter even if You’re using an Android smartphone or another smart device Bootloader works the same in each of them.
Profoundly, You can state it as a collection of security modules that start and end each of the processes on your smartphones. Now You must be thinking about the reasons for unlocking the Bootloader, right? Considering that, Below we’ve listed all the legit reasons which require an unlocked Bootloader.
Why Unlock Bootloader?
Now, After knowing the meaning of the Bootloader, You just need to know the motives why people unlock their smartphone’s Bootloader. It’s crucial since if you don’t have a legit reason and unlocking it just for fun, You need to suffer from some of the demerits of unlocking Bootloader. So We’ve listed below all the purposes of unlocking Bootloader; Choose your desired ones, and start the process –
- You need an unlocked Bootloader for rooting your Android smartphone.
- If You want to install any Custom or Stock ROM on your phone.
- If anyone wanna enhance the performance and battery life of your smartphone.
- For uninstalling the annoying system apps.
- You can only gain root access on the smartphone having unlocked Bootloader. So It would be an advantage unlocking Bootloader if you’re the rooting aspirant.
- Consequently, You can enjoy enormous modules after rooting your Android smartphone and enjoy lots of customizations on the UI wall.
- You can change your smartphone’s User Interface after unlocking your Android smartphone. Moreover, You can also enjoy the MIUI and OxygenOS kinda interface on your Google Pixel Smartphones.
- Unlocking the Bootloader will provide you some of the performance and battery life-enhancing privileges.
- You can install the most beneficial TWRP Recovery tool on your Google Pixel Smartphone after unlocking its Bootloader.
- Unlocking the Bootloader will allow you to install and use the most featureful third-party apps like Lucky Patcher.
- You can make the easy-peasy backup of your Android smartphone’s data by using some third-party futuristic apps after unlocking its Bootloader.
- You can download and flash any Custom and Stock ROM on your Google Pixel Smartphone after unlocking its Bootloader.
- First of the most critical disadvantage here is, You can brick your smartphone for a lifetime, with a simple mistake in unlocking your smartphone’s Bootloader.
- Unlocking the Bootloader will void your device’s warranty, even if it’s the old one or the latest one.
- It’ll also disable the most highly-required security modules from your smartphone that’ll make your device easily hackable.
- Uninstalling the system apps can also throw you into big trouble, as uninstalling the single useful system app like System UI can brick your smartphone.
- Be careful while using privileged third-party applications since they can get into your data without a locked Bootloader.
- Overclocking the Processor will also injure your smartphone’s processor chip and most of the interior parts on high usage.
- Unlocking the Bootloader of Google Pixel Smartphone will annoy you with the warning message whenever you’ll restart your device.
- You can’t use some of the highly secured Android applications like the banking apps, Google Pay, Phonepe, and BharatPe after unlocking your device’s Bootloader.
Prerequisites before unlocking Google Pixel Smartphone Bootloader
- Backup necessary data – Before even keeping a single step towards unlocking the Bootloader of your Android smartphone, Firstly, You’re required to backup all the important data available inside your Google Pixel Smartphone. Basically, Unlocking the Bootloader means formatting the Android smartphone and factory resetting all the processes inside it. So must create the backup of all your photos, videos, contacts, messages, and call logs before unlocking it. Otherwise, You’ll lose all your data!
- Keep your Google Pixel phone charged – After creating the successful backup of all your important data, you’re now required to charge your Google Pixel phone over 60%. It’s one of the most mandatory prerequisite steps you need to make with your smartphone, as unlocking the Bootloader writes inside your smartphone, and a single interruption between that process can brick your smartphone. So be careful and charge your smartphone at least 60%!
Methods to Unlock Bootloader On Google Pixel Smartphones
Finally, We’ve covered the entire preliminary details we require before unlocking the Bootloader of Google Pixel Smartphones. Right now, We know the meaning of Bootloader, the Advantages & Disadvantages of Unlocking the Bootloader, and most importantly, the reasons to unlock Bootloader.
Again, You’re firstly required to follow both the above prerequisite steps before unlocking your device’s Bootloader. Data is more important! Let’s get started with the very first step of enabling a few developer options –
Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging
Before getting started, You’re required to permit your Android smartphone’s Bootloader to get unlocked with unauthorized access. Basically, The Developers and Manufacturer team of our Google Pixel smartphone have the authorized access and the approved keys to unlock our smartphone model’s Bootloader, but we’re unauthorized to do that.
So If We want to unlock the Bootloader on our own responsibility, We’re required to enable OEM Unlocking first! OEM Unlocking is the developer option that is disabled from the beginning. You’re required here to turn on the Developer Options and permit the OEM Unlocking to unlock your smartphone’s Bootloader with unauthorized access.
Additionally, You’re also expected to enable USB Debugging on your smartphone to create a legit connection between your Google Pixel smartphone and PC. So let’s get started and permit the Developer Options first –
Step 1 – Firstly, Open the Settings app on your Google Pixel Smartphone.
Step 2 – Open the About Phone section from the Settings menu.
Step 3 – Now tap the Build Number listed on the About Phone 7-8 times.
Step 4 – Now, You’ll observe a dark rectangular pop-up notification on the screen saying Developer Option Enabled.
Step 5 – Get back to the main menu of the Settings app, and You’ll get there a new section named Developer Options. Tap it!
Step 6 – Search for a toggle named OEM Unlocking, and tap it to enable ASAP.
Step 7 – Lastly, Search for the toggle named USB Debugging, and Enable it too!
Download & Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool for PC
As of now, You’ve enabled both the Developer options required for unlocking the Bootloader of Google Pixel Smartphones. So Currently, You’re required to perform a process on your Windows PC too. Basically, You’re expected to download some of the crucial tools to recognize your Google Pixel Smartphone and unlock its Bootloader.
Finally, We’ve listed below the links to download both, Minimal ADB Driver which will help your PC in recognizing Google Pixel phone, and the Fastboot Tool which will help you unlock its Bootloader. Click the below links to download it ASAP, and must follow the below steps to install them without any error –
Minimal ADB Driver – (Link)
Fastboot Tool – (Link)
Step 1 – What You’ve downloaded above is the Zipped file including Minimal ADB Driver and Fastboot Tool. So Firstly, You’re required to make a specified folder to unzip both these ZIP files on a specified location.
Step 2 – After extracting these files within .exe apps, You’ll have to open the same folder where you’ve unzipped them.
Step 3 – Now, put your cursor on the Minimal ADB Driver.exe file and right-click there. Afterward, Click Run it as Administrator from the prompt menu.
Step 4 – Afterward, Tap Yes to install the Minimal ADB Driver.
Step 5 – Go back towards the folder where you’ve unzipped the Fastboot tool and Right-click on the Fastboot tool to Run it as Administrator.
Step 6 – Likewise, Click the Yes button for the Fastboot tool too and install it on your PC.
Start your Google Pixel Device in Fastboot mode and connect with PC
Finally, We’re here with all the completed preliminary processes on both, Smartphone and the PC. So Now We’ve finally got the moment when we’ll unlock the Bootloader and enjoy all our exceptional desires. So Firstly, You’re required to restart your Google Pixel Smartphone in the Bootloader or Fastboot mode. Suppose those Windows PC, where you can only install the Windows or Ubuntu OS inside the boot mode.
Similarly, Smartphones also have their own Fastboot mode, which is required to get started before rooting them and unlocking their Bootloader. Well, It’s the handiest process to enable the fastboot mode of your Google Pixel Smartphone. All You need is to follow the below steps –
Step 1 – Hard Press the power button and Shut Down your Pixel Smartphone.
Step 2 – Start your phone again but by pressing both, Power key and the Volume-Up key together.
Step 3 – Now You’ll observe the Darkside of your smartphone stating Fastboot mode or Bootloader mode.
Step 4 – Now, Connect your Google Pixel Smartphone with your PC using the appropriate Micro-USB or Type-C USB cable.
Unlock the Bootloader for your Google Pixel Smartphone
As of now, You’ve completed all the above steps and finally restarted your Google Pixel Smartphone on the Bootloader mode. So finally, We’re ready to unlock the Bootloader of our pixel smartphone and follow all the last steps listed below. It’s the simplest journey below, just be careful and take each step thoroughly as per the words written below –
Step 1 – Get to your PC and open the specified folder where you’ve extracted both, Minimal ADB Tool and the Fastboot tool.
Step 2 – Find an empty space there, like the below image, and hit the right-click.
Step 3 – The right-click menu will provide you with lots of options, where you’re required to tap the Open Command Prompt tab.
Step 4 – You’ll now observe the command prompt opened inside that specific folder. Copy the below command and paste there-
Step 5 – Beat the enter button!
Step 6 – Now after hitting enter, You’ll see your device listed with its serial number on the cmd screen. If You’re not seeing it there, then you must haven’t installed the driver correctly, or haven’t plugged your phone correctly inside your PC. So try restarting the process from scratch!
Step 7 – Now, If You’re seeing your device correctly on the screen, copy the below command and paste it on the Command Prompt
fastboot oem unlock
Step 8 – Hit the enter button!
Step 9 – You’ve finally unlocked your device’s Bootloader and can enjoy all your desired privileges from the above Advantages list inside your Google Pixel Smartphone.
Step 10 – Enter the below command on cmd to reboot your smartphone –
Step 11 – Hit the enter button again!
How do I know if my phones’ Bootloader is unlocked?
It’s a simplistic process to check if the Bootloader is unlocked or not. You can do this with both your Smartphone and PC. If You’re convenient with your Smartphone, you’re required to open the dialer and write *#*#7378423#*#*. It’ll automatically redirect you to the Settings, where you have to enter Service Info>Configuration. Now, If there is Yes written under Bootloader, it’s unlocked or opposite for No.
Now, If You’re convenient with the PC, You’re required to follow the below process –
Step 1 – Download the Android SDK Platform-tools, and the drivers compatible with your Smartphone.
Step 2 – Now install these drivers and unzip SDK tools on a specified folder.
Step 3 – Open the folder where you extracted SDK Tools, and press Shift + Right Click on the empty location, and choose “Open with Windows Powershell.”
Step 4 – Switch off your phone with a hard pressing Power Button.
Step 5 – Now press the Power button again with the Volume-Up button and Volume Down button together. It’ll start your device in fastboot mode.
Step 6 – Connect your phone with the PC with a USB cable.
Step 7 – Copy the below command on your Windows Powershell screen –
Step 8 – Soon, your PC will detect the connected Smartphone, and now you’re required to copy the below command there –
fastboot oem device-info
How do I get root access on the Google Pixel smartphone?
If You wanna root your Google Pixel Smartphone or get root access on your Pixel device, You’re priorly required to unlock your smartphone’s Bootloader. Unlocking the Bootloader is a preliminary step you need to take for making any tweak with your smartphone, like rooting it, installing TWRP, Custom ROM, or using the privileged third-party apps. After unlocking it, You can simply root your Android smartphone by following the process listed inside below linked article –
How to gain root access on Google Pixel Smartphones – (Link)
Is unlocking the Bootloader the same as rooting?
Nope, Unlocking the Bootloader is a system part of the Android smartphone that’ll void your device’s warranty but won’t offer you all the after-root privileges. So stop thinking the same, Unlocking the Bootloader is just one of the steps you need to perform before rooting your device. Afterward, You need to follow a massive process for rooting it!
Does unlocking bootloader erase data?
Yeah, Unlocking the Bootloader will surely erase the entire data stored inside your Android smartphone. That’s why, We’ve told you at the initial stage of the article that you need to create an ultimate backup of all your important data, including images, videos, documents, and contacts, before unlocking your device’s Bootloader. If You’re also going to unlock it, Please create the data backup first!
What is OEM unlock?
OEM Unlock is a simple developer option, which gives you unauthorized access to unlock the Bootloader of Google Pixel or any other Android smartphone. Basically, It’s highly required access you need to provide your smartphone before unlocking its Bootloader. Otherwise, You’ll get stuck in between the final process of unlocking the smartphone’s Bootloader. Must be careful!
Is OEM unlock safe?
OEM Unlock is basically one of the developer options of Android smartphones, and it won’t affect any of your device’s processes or its data. It’s the safest developer option, which is only required while unlocking the Bootloader. You aren’t supposed to keep it enable every time!
Will I get OTA updates if the Bootloader is unlocked?
It’s basically impossible to get the OTA updates after unlocking the smartphone’s Bootloader. The brand servers only provide the OTA Updates to the locked Bootloader or highly secure devices, but unlocking Bootloader voids the warranty as well as the connection of your device to the manufacturer brand. So You can’t get those OTA updates again. Excepting that, You can root your smartphone and can get some better updates even before the other guys using the same smartphone. Isn’t it exceptional?