Ever wanted to root your OnePlus phone? Unlocking the bootloader is the first step in doing so. This will allow you to install custom ROMs, kernels, and various other forms of modifications that are not available on a standard OxygenOS installation. The process is actually surprisingly simple if you have all the necessary files at the ready and follow this guide!
Technology advancements taking place nowadays are literally impeccable, and these smart kinds of stuff are making our life more convenient and intelligent. We won’t need now any struggle for performing most of our tasks, as all we need there is a small 6-inch Android Smartphone, and that’s it!
But Do You know that Smartphones also contains two different sides? Yeah, You heard right! It’s just like a coin having two different factions. You’re here using the original interface which is brilliant but mark my words, You’ll get astonished after using the backside of your smartphone. It’s 100% more simplistic, customizable, brilliant, and time-saving.
Got excited, right? Yup, I’m talking about the root access. But most of the guys resist rooting their phone only because they’re unfamiliar with the process behind rooting, i.e. Unlocking the Bootloader! So today, we’re here to help you meet being familiar with the Bootloader Unlocking process for the OnePlus Smartphones. The entire below guide is dedicated to the most useful knowledge about the OnePlus Bootloader and the process to open it. Let’s get into it ASAP –
What is Bootloader in OnePlus?
The bootloader for every smart device is the set of programs that runs at the initialization of the smartphone. Suppose that, You’re powering on your smartphone to complete all your tasks and use third-party apps, so in that case, Bootloader will get started first and help all your smartphone’s services, tasks, and third-party applications to work well.
Similarly, like all other smart devices, the OnePlus Bootloader works in the same way. Bootloader comes locked inside all the OnePlus Smartphones, and if you’re deeming to get root access or install Custom ROMs on your device, first you need the unlocked Bootloader. Let’s get deep into it and acknowledge the need of unlocking Bootloader on OnePlus Smartphones.
Why Unlock Bootloader?
Everyone has their own desires from the unlocked Bootloader, so it’s simply impossible to answer why to unlock Bootloader. Well, It’s majorly unlocked for rooting purposes, and to gain unauthorized access to all your smartphone’s manufacturer settings.
Excepting that, You can also unlock your device Bootloader for installing the Custom ROMs on your smartphone, or simply for enjoying the new experiences of the interface. No matter what, it can be both, beneficial and harmful at the very same time, so must check below all the advantages and disadvantages of Bootloader before unlocking it.
- Unlocking the Bootloader in every OnePlus Smartphone permits you to get root access on your device.
- You can install any of your favorite Custom or Stock ROM on your smartphone after unlocking its Bootloader.
- The Unlocked Bootloader can help you using lots of amazing modifier apps like Lucky Patcher to make modified apps on your own.
- You can make lots of modifications to your device’s UI after unlocking its Bootloader.
- You can use some incredible root methods like Magisk Manager, which consists of thousands of futuristic modules.
- Battery Saving will be on the top after unlocking Bootloader since you can now use some of the third-party apps which are really effective.
- Unlocking the Bootloader, and rooting the smartphone gives you access to overclock your device’s processor speed, and helps you in enhancing your gaming experience.
- Are You stuck with making the full backup of your data? Unlocking Bootloader can also help you here, since you can now use some restricted apps to make powerful backups, including app data.
- Unlocking Bootloader will give you a plus-point that you can uninstall most of your system apps that aren’t useful and eat RAM and storage enormously.
- You can install and use most of the different Android OS variants on your OnePlus Smartphones like MIUI, ColorOS, and Stock Android after unlocking its Bootloader.
- First of all, Bootloader can brick your smartphone for a long time, or like for the entire life, if the process is done in the wrong way.
- The bootloader isn’t only reckoned as the processes initializer program, but also contains lots of security modules for Android Smartphones. So Unlocking it will dump lots of security modules of your smartphone, and it’ll become easy to get hacked.
- If You’re unlocking the Bootloader, just for overclocking your device, and enhancing your gaming experience, it can also affect some of the hardware with enormous heat production inside your device if overclocked for a long time.
- Unlocking Bootloader will be an open invitation to most of the bugs and viruses to the smartphone.
- You’ll void your device’s warranty after unlocking its Bootloader. And you can’t get it back, even after relocking it!
- There are lots of brilliantly secured Android apps, which you can’t use without those Bootloader security modules, like GPay, PhonePe, Paypal, and all such banking apps.
- It’s impossible to relock the Bootloader after unlocking it on most Android smartphones.
- You need to be careful while uninstalling any system app from your smartphone after unlocking the Bootloader since it can be deadly if you’ll uninstall the most useful system app like System UI.
Prerequisites before unlocking OnePlus Smartphone Bootloader
- Backup important data – It’s one of the most prior steps you need to take before unlocking your device Bootloader. Basically, Unlocking the Bootloader means formatting the entire smartphone data with a single click. So If You’re thinking of unlocking it, first of all, create the perfect backup of all the data available on your smartphone, including Contacts, Messages, E-mails, Documents, Videos, Photos, and everything.
- Keep your OnePlus phone charged – Before Unlocking the Bootloader, You must need to confirm that your smartphone is successfully charged above 60%. Fundamentally, It’s the most important step, since if your smartphone gets switched off, in between unlocking the Bootloader, you’ll get inside damn big trouble. Most of the time, Smartphone brick will be the result here!
Steps to Unlock Bootloader On OnePlus Phones
Ultimately, We’re now ready to unlock the Bootloader of our OnePlus Smartphones. Till now, We’ve covered the meaning, need, advantages, and disadvantages of the Bootloader, and now it’s the time jump inside the process of unlocking the Bootloader. You’re required here to complete all the preliminary steps, that we’ve listed above, and afterward carefully follow all the below steps. Let’s get into it –
Enable OEM Unlocking
OEM Unlocking will be the permission to unauthorized unlocking of the Smartphone Bootloader. It’s effectively needed to be enabled before unlocking the Bootloader since you can’t just unlock it with your PC, without having the permission of your smartphone. Simply, follow the below steps and enable OEM Unlocking ASAP –
Step 1 – Open the Settings app on your phone.
Step 2 – Locate the About Us section of the phone and click it.
Step 3 – Find the Build Number and tap it 5 times repeatedly. You’ll get a confirmation pop-up here, saying that “You’re now the developer.“
Step 4 – Now get back to the main Settings menu, and enter the System tab.
Step 5 – You’ll get there listed Developer Options tab. Click it ASAP!
Step 6 – Now enable the toggle named OEM Unlocking, and get back to the home.
Boot your OnePlus Phone into Fastboot Mode
As of now, You’ve completed all the prerequisite steps required before unlocking Bootloader, and also have enabled the OEM Unlocking developer option. Now let’s get inside the final steps of unlocking Bootloader.
So the first step is to restart your Android smartphone in the Fastboot mode. OnePlus fastboot mode is required to make any changes in the device’s module, like unlocking Bootloader and installing different ROMs. Well, It’s not as complex as it sounds, since all you need to do is to perform the below 3 steps, and that’s it –
Step 1 – Hard press the Power Button and shut down your smartphone.
Step 2 – Hard press Power Button, Volume Up, and the Volume Down hardware buttons together, until You’ll see the fastboot mode.
That’s it! Now, You’re inside the fastboot mode.
Configure ADB Drivers and Platform Tools
Even If You’re using any PC to unlock your smartphone’s Bootloader, You’re priorly needed to install OnePlus’s ADB Drivers on there. Basically, Our PC works based on drivers, while connecting different hardware. It can’t just connect and capture the device to give you results. So You’re simply required to download all the required drivers which you can get through the below link.
(ADB Drivers Link)
After downloading these ADB Drivers, Now You need to download the Android SDK Platform-tools. These tools are damn important, and it’s impossible to flash a smartphone without having Android SDK Tools on your computer. So below, we’ve listed the web link for all the Android SDK Tools. Additionally, You won’t need to worry about security, since it’s the official Android website where you’ll get redirected with the below link.
Android SDK Tools – Link
After downloading these SDK Tools, You’re required to save them on a specific folder, like the Desktop, or any convenient location. Must remember that location, and let’s get towards the next step –
Connect your OnePlus Device to the PC and verify the connection
After downloading the required drivers and Android SDK Platform-tools, You’re now reckoned to connect your smartphone with your PC. You’ll be needed to connect your device with PC only while you’ve restarted your device on fastboot mode. Use your C-type USB Cable to connect your OnePlus Phone with your PC, and afterward, you’ll get a pop-up when your PC will recognize the OnePlus device connected.
Now You’re required to open the specified folder, where you’ve downloaded the Android SDK Platform Tools, and follow the below process –
Step 1 – Open the folder containing Android SDK Platform Tools.
Step 2 – Press the Shift Key + Right Click on the empty space.
Step 3 – Choose “Open Powershell Window here” from all the available options.
Step 4 – Now Enter the below command on Window Powershell ISE.
Now, You’ll observe the unique Ident of your smartphone in string format, with a fastboot tag ahead. If You’re getting it the same as in the below picture, you’re cool to go for unlocking Bootloader.
But If You aren’t seeing the fastboot tag, and elsewhere your Windows Powershell ISE is showing a blank screen, then there is a possibility that your PC is unable to recognize the OnePlus Device you’ve connected. So If You’re facing this trouble, download the OnePlus Drivers manually from their official website linked below, and try starting the process once again. It’ll surely help you!
(OnePlus Drivers link)
Use Fastboot Command to Unlock OnePlus Bootloader
Ultimately, You’ve completed all the preliminaries required to unlock the Bootloader of OnePlus smartphones, and finally, we’re ready to unlock the Bootloader. As soon as you’ll see your smartphone in fastboot mode, after copying the above section command on Windows Powershell, copy the below command, paste there, and hit enter –
fastboot flashing unlock
It’ll take a few minutes to get your device’s Bootloader unlocked and after some time, You’ll get a prompt notification on your OnePlus smartphone’s fastboot mode, asking you to unlock Bootloader or not. You’re here supposed to press the volume down key to navigate the toggle towards UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER section and press the power button(Simple pressing, not holding).
Congratulations!! You’ve successfully unlocked your OnePlus smartphone’s Bootloader, and now you can go for all your favorite tweaks, TWRP installation, Custom ROMs, and Magisk kinda root methods.
Now, If You’re deeming to root your smartphone after unlocking its Bootloader, You’ll get here the convenient guide for gaining root access on Android smartphones. Below there is a link that’ll redirect you towards all the powerful root methods with the entire process.
How to root Android Smartphones
How do I know if my phones’ bootloader is unlocked?
It’s a simplistic process to check if the Bootloader is unlocked or not. You can do this with both, your smartphone and PC. If You’re convenient with your smartphone, you’re required to open the dialer and write *#*#7378423#*#*. It’ll automatically redirect you to the Settings, where you have to enter Service Info>Configuration. Now If there is Yes written under Bootloader, it’s unlocked or opposite for No.
Now, If You’re convenient with the PC, You’re required to follow the below process –
Step 1 – Download the Android SDK Platform-tools, and the drivers compatible with your smartphone.
Step 2 – Now install these drivers and unzip SDK tools on a specified folder.
Step 3 – Open the folder where you extracted SDK Tools, and press Shift + Right Click on the empty location, and choose “Open with Windows Powershell.”
Step 4 – Switch off your phone with hard pressing Power Button.
Step 5 – Now press the Power button again with the Volume-Up button and Volume Down button together. It’ll start your device in fastboot mode.
Step 6 – Connect your phone with the PC with a USB cable.
Step 7 – Copy the below command on your Windows Powershell screen –
Step 8 – Soon your PC will detect the connected smartphone, and now you’re required to copy the below command there –
fastboot oem device-info
How do I get root access on the OnePlus device?
Well, It’s not that complicated to root OnePlus smartphones, since all you need is to choose your favorite or the most convenient methods like Magisk Installer, and that’s it. Moreover, You can also learn this simplistic rooting process with the below-linked article.
Is unlocking the bootloader the same as rooting?
Nope, Unlocking Bootloader is just a preliminary process or the first step you need to take for unlocking Bootloader. Rooting is much more than just unlocking the Bootloader, and if you want to learn the process simplistically, then it’s time to go with this weblink here.
Does unlocking bootloader erase data?
Unlocking the Bootloader basically means unlocking the initiation program and getting rid of many security modules. Your entire data will get wiped in between this unlocking process, including contacts, photos, and documents, like the entire factory reset!
What is OEM unlock?
OEM Unlock is the simplistic developer option which is needed to be enabled before unlocking the Bootloader. It’s a system that gives us unauthorized access to unlock the Bootloader of a smartphone and disable many security modules inside it.
Is OEM unlock safe?
Yup, It’s 100% safe to enable OEM Unlock, and there is no single data leakage, hacking, or bugs kind of issue with this service. It’s just the permission required to unlock the Bootloader of Android smartphones.
Will I get OTA updates if the bootloader is unlocked?
Yes, you will receive an OTA update after unlocking your OnePlus phone bootloader, but you will receive a full update, not like normal 100-200 MB smaller updates.